The Porcupine Mountains (aka: the Porkies) are absolutely gorgeous.
At over 60,000 acres, they comprise Michigan’s largest state park.
The Porkies feature:
- 23 miles of Lake Superior shoreline
- One of the largest tracts of virgin northern hardwood trees in North America
- 90 miles of hiking trails
- Tons of animals (ie: black beer, moose, wolves, coyotes, fox, etc)
- And yes even one of the world’s top skinny dipping hotspots
- Bond Falls and Lake of the Clouds are among the Upper Peninsula’s most visited (and most photographed natural attractions)
- The middle branch of the Ontonagon River drops about 50 feet over a thick belt of broken rock at Bond Falls, an easily accessible waterfall located about an hour south of the Porcupine Mountains
- Summit Peak is 1,447 feet high (only Michigan’s highest point, Mount Arvon, is taller at 1,979 feet)
The annual Porcupine Mountains Music Festival brings tons of people up to The Porkies, which are located about 9 hours (yes, about 600 miles) NW of Detroit.
The festival made state history in 2005 when it became the first music festival held within a Michigan state park.
The festival grounds feature rustic campgrounds, yurts, backcountry camping, and more.
Jackie Venson, The Commonheart,
Myron Elkins, Kat Wright, The Slocan Ramblers,
Seth Walker, H.C. McEntire, Charlie Parr,
The Way Down Wanderers, Gabe Stillman Band,
Humbird, & Buffalo Galaxy!!
Chalet Stage Headliners
Trevor McSpadden & Mary Cutrufello, Bathtub Mothers
The Busking Barn is an all-acoustic stage offering amateurs and professionals the opportunity to play in an intimate and nurturing setting.
The Recreation Passport (replaced the former State Parks sticker) is required for vehicle entry into State parks. Cost is $13.00 per vehicle. Purchase your pass here.
What: Porcupine Mountains Music Festival
When: August 25-26, 2023
Where: Porcupine Mountains Winter Sports Complex (33303 Headquarters Rd, Ontonagon, MI)
Cost: $95.00 for 2-day pass
12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. – Myron Elkins
2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. – Humbird
3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. – Charlie Parr
5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. – The Slocan Ramblers
6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. – Kat Wright
8:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m. – Jackie Venson
12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. – Buffalo Galaxy
2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. – H.C. McEntire
3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. – The Way Down Wanderers
5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. – Gabe Stillman Band
6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. – Seth Walker
8:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m. – The Commonheart