Detroit City Football Club (DCFC) is a semi-pro soccer team nicknamed “Le Rouge” and they have been tearing up opponents and attracting 3,000+ fans per game for the past few years now. Also, the DCFC fanbase, the Northern Guard, is numerous, ultra-supportive and hilarious.
We here at the JobbieCrew love DCFC. We’ve been going to their games for years. They used to play at Cass Tech High School’s football field but now they have an actual stadium of their own, Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck, thanks to fan donations and investor support!
DCFC will be going up against Northern Ireland’s Glentoran FC on Saturday, May 27th, 2017 in a special Detroit Cougars 50th Anniversary Match!
According to the DCFC press release:
In 1967, the Detroit Cougars were one of 12 original USA (United Soccer Association) teams, which comprised a national league of teams from Europe and South America. Each team was chosen to rep a different U.S. city. Glentoran FC (founded in 1882 in East Belfast) was chosen to rep Detroit.
The Detroit Cougars were owned by William Clay Ford and John Fetzer (owner of the Detroit Tigers) and played at Tiger Stadium. After 1967, the USA merged with the NPSL to form the North American Soccer League and the Cougars were history. Until now.
Keyworth Stadium has a rich history:
- President FDR was here the day it opened on October 15th, 1936
- Several Negro League baseball teams played here until 1945
- John F. Kennedy spoke here in 1960 during his Presidential Campaign
JobbieCrew’s Top Spots to Check out in Hamtramck:
- The Fowling Warehouse (3901 Christopher St) Located right down the street from Keyworth Stadium, you can play the unique Detroit sport of “fowling” (football bowling)!
- DCFC’s first store just opened! (2750 Yemans St)
- Polish Village Cafe (2990 Yemans St) cash-only; possibly best Polish food in Michigan
- Small’s Bar (10339 Conant St) great live music spot
- Detroit Threads (10238 Joseph Campau ave) vinyl LP’s and vintage clothing
- Krakus Restaurant & Bar (12900 Joseph Campau) c. 1982; try the ‘Polish Plate’
- Steve’s Party Store (2132 Caniff Ave) huge, extensive beer selection
- Whiskey in the Jar (2741 Yemans) great dive bar
- Polish Sea League (2601 Edwin St) private members-only bar. You should join.
- Hamtramck Disneyland (12087 Klinger St) its an art installation in the backyard of this house, so drive around and view it from the alley. Incredible.
What: Detroit City Football Club v.s. Glentoran FC!
When: Saturday, May 27th, 2017
Where: Keyworth Stadium (3201 Roosevelt Street, Hamtramck, MI)
Cost: $15.00 online or $20.00 @ the gate
Buy tickets here
Facebook event page