Billionaire Taylor Swift was named Time Magazine’s person of the year.
The award goes to an event or person deemed to have had the most influence on global events over the past year.
Already a superstar before 2023, her career has reached new heights thanks to the Eras tour – which sees the singer perform a career-spanning 45-song set every night.
Swift has also released the biggest-selling record of 2023 – a re-recording of her decade-old album 1989. Incredibly, she also has the second and third biggest-sellers of the year in America, with Midnights and Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).
In October 2023, the star was declared a billionaire by business publication Bloomberg, which estimated her net worth to be $1.1bn.
Amongst her other achievements this year:
- The Eras tour film became the biggest concert movie of all time, taking $249m at the global box office.
- Swift became the first living artist to have five albums in the US Top 10 simultaneously, with 1989, Midnights, Folklore, Lover and Speak Now.
- She broke the record for the most number one albums by a woman in US chart history – 13 in total – overtaking Barbara Streisand.
- Swift became the first songwriter to score seven Grammy nominations for song of the year, overtaking Sir Paul McCartney and Lionel Richie.
- Boosted by her tour, Swift was named the most-streamed female artist in the history of Spotify and Apple Music.