The annual Speed Chess Championship (SCC) is the strongest online speed chess event in the world.
The event features a $150,000 prize fund and the best blitz and bullet chess players.
This fast-paced tournament combines 5+1 and 3+1 blitz with 1+1 bullet starts at the beginning of September before a grand final later in the month.
Nakamura tops a star-studded bill that includes his great rival chess grand master Magnus Carlsen, the only other previous winner of the tournament (2016 and 2017).
- 16-player single-elimination bracket
- Matches consist of three segments: 90 minutes of 5+1, 60 minutes of 3+1, and 30 minutes of 1+1.
- Players earn one point for a win, 0.5 points for a draw, and 0 points for a loss.
- The player with the most cumulative points at the end of the match wins.
- Games that start before the time for a segment runs out count toward the final score.
- Players can resign from the match within the last 10 minutes of the 1+1 segment, with the player’s win percentage being capped at 35%.
What: Speed Chess Championship
When: September 04-22, 2023