The first-ever PGA Tour in the City of Detroit is happening next June 27-30, 2019.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic will be taking place at the famed Detroit Golf Club and will be comprised of 7300 yards. Jason Langwell is the executive director of the tournament.
Total purse for the event is $7.3 million dollars.
Winner takes home $1.3 million dollars and the rest is divided among the other players.
Founded in 1899, the Detroit Golf Club has 36 holes, spread across North & South Courses, which were created by famous Scottish golf course designer, Donald Ross.
Local billionaire Dan Gilbert‘s company Quicken Loans is the title sponsor for the event and they have branded it ‘Rocket Mortgage’, named after one of their popular online products.
The DGC is surrounded by cool neighborhoods of Palmer Park and Sherwood Forest, which both feature some of the most beautiful homes in Detroit.
- Dustin Johnson (the world’s number-one-ranked golfer)
- Rickey Fowler (10th ranked in the world)
- Bubba Watson (17th ranked in the world)
- Jimmy Walker, the 2016 PGA Championship winner, who owns six tournament victories on the PGA Tour.
- Jason Dufner, the 2013 PGA Championship winner and a five-time winner on the PGA Tour.
- Kevin Kisner, the world’s 25th-ranked player, who is a three-time PGA Tou winner.
- Cameron Champ, a PGA Tour rookie who already has had his first professional victory.
- Aaron Wise, the reigning PGA Tour rookie of the year.
- Billy Horschel, the 2014 FedExCup shampion and a five-time tour winner.
- Lucas Glover, the 2009 U.S. Open champion.
- Charles Howell III, currently ninth in the FedExCup standings.
- Si Woo Kim, a two-time PGA Tour winner, including the 2017 Players Championship.
- Corey Conners, an Ontario native who secured his first PGA Tour victory earlier this month.
Cool things to check out near the DGC:
Bishop’s Mansion (1880 Wellesley Dr, Detroit) 35,000-square feet; 62 rooms, 10 fireplaces
Baker’s Keyboard Lounge (20510 Livernois, Detroit) c. 1934; world’s oldest jazz club; cool piano key circular bar; try the peach cobbler (Hours are Tues-Fri 11am-1am, Sat 4pm-1am, Sun 1pm-Midnight)
Bucharest Grill (19492 Livernois, Detroit) get the ungodly delicious Chicken Shawarma for carry-out. Call 313-965-3111. This is their Avenue of Fashion location. Open 10am-11pm.
Motor City Soul Food (12700 W. 7 Mile Road, Detroit) carry-out only place; get the 2-Piece Baked Chicken Meal with sides of Candied Yams and mac & cheese. And for desert, get the large banana pudding. Outstanding! Mon-Sun 11am-9pm
La Dolce Vita (17546 Woodward, Detroit) great Italian eatery with one of the best patios in the city. Hours are Tues-Friday (lunch 11am-3pm, Dinner 5pm-11pm), Saturday (dinner 5pm-11pm), Sunday (brunch 11-3, dinner 5pm-9pm)
Kuzzo’s Chicken & Waffles (19345 Livernois, Detroit) get the Bam Bam and some Kool-Aid. Hours are Tues-Sat 8am-9pm, Sun 8am-6pm
The Oakland Art Novelty Company (201 W. 9 Mile Rd, Ferndale) this place is a fantastic, dimly lit, speakeasy-type bar. Hours are Tues-Sun 5pm-2am
Coliseum Strip Club (11300 E. 8 Mile Rd, Detroit) some of the finest performers in the city. Hours are Mon-Sun Noon-2am
Penthouse Strip Club (20771 W. 8 Mile rd, Detroit) also, some of the finest performers in the city. Hours are Mon-Sun Noon-2am
What: PGA Tour Rocket Mortgage Classic!
When: Thursday, June 27-Sunday, June 30, 2019
Where: Detroit Golf Club (17911 Hamilton Road, Detroit, Michigan)
FB event page
PGA Tour FB
Detroit Golf Club tour of their golf courses