King of the Streets is the premiere no prep RC drag racing event in the world.
In 2022, racer Samantha Joan won $20,000 with an insane 1.6 second pass at 84 miles per hour.
The fastest drivers from around the world meet to throw down on the asphalt at Speed Vegas to see who will be crowned King of the Streets!
No Prep Street Outlaw Drag Racing means that the racing surface is left unprepared to simulate normal street conditions (although blowing it off is acceptable). Street Outlaw means that each model must have a body that mimics an actual car you could drive on the street. In each elimination round, two cars line up behind the starting lights and go on green. The winner is the one that arrives first at the end of a 132-foot long scale drag strip that would stretch 1/4 mile in real life.
At King of the Streets, all racers are organized into one of eight groups to compete in eight elimination rounds. If you win your race, you advance to the next round. If you lose, you’re done. As the event goes on, fewer racers move forward, and the rounds become faster. At Round Eight, only two drivers remain.
There is one undisputed winner at the end. There are no second chances. With just one pass on the strip — about three seconds of drive time — each driver has a 50-50 chance of advancing or going home. Becoming the champion requires eight consecutive winning passes. Statistically, every racer has a 0.4% chance of winning it all and a 99.6% chance of losing.
Vehicles are inspected before each run for two main criteria. They must weigh at least 4.54 pounds, and battery voltage cannot exceed 8.44V on a 2-cell LiPo. Vehicles failing the inspection cannot race. Any RC car motor commonly available over-the-counter can be used. Tire prep is allowed, but a burnout is required before cars can be staged at the race line.
Thanks to a computer-controlled sensor system, the winner of each pass is never in doubt.
What: RC King of the Streets
When: April 21-23, 2023
Where: Speedvegas Motorsports Park (14200 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV)
Cost: $100 to enter your car/ Free to spectate