Whooo, Le Rouge! City til we die!
Detroit City Football Club (DCFC) is a semi-pro soccer team nicknamed “Le Rouge” and they have been tearing up opponents and attracting 3,000+ fans per game for the past few years now. The DCFC fanbase is numerous, ultra-supportive and hilarious.
We here at the JobbieCrew love DCFC. We’ve been going to their games for years. They used to play at Cass Tech High School’s football field but now they have an actual stadium of their own, Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck, thanks to fan donations and investor support!
Keyworth Stadium has a rich history:
- President FDR was here the day it opened on October 15th, 1936
- Several Negro League baseball teams played here until 1945
- John F. Kennedy spoke here in 1960 during his Presidential Campaign
And history is about to be made again in this historic soccer match when DCFC kicks the butt of world-famed FC United of Manchester in the “International Friendly” game!
JobbieCrew’s Top Spots to Check out in Hamtramck:
- DCFC’s first store just opened! (2750 Yemans St)
- Polish Village Cafe (2990 Yemans St) cash-only; possibly best Polish food in Michigan
- Small’s Bar (10339 Conant St) great live music spot
- Detroit Threads (10238 Joseph Campau ave) vinyl LP’s and vintage clothing
- Krakus Restaurant & Bar (12900 Joseph Campau) c. 1982; try the ‘Polish Plate’
- Steve’s Party Store (2132 Caniff Ave) huge, extensive beer selection
- Whiskey in the Jar (2741 Yemans) great dive bar
- Polish Sea League (2601 Edwin St) private members-only bar. You should join.
- Hamtramck Disneyland (12087 Klinger St) its an art installation in the backyard of this house, so drive around and view it from the alley. Incredible.
What: Detroit City Football Club v.s. FC United of Manchester!
When: Saturday, May 28th, 2016
Where: Keyworth Stadium (3201 Roosevelt Street, Hamtramck, MI)
Get tickets here: