The U.S. Navy is bringing bring Navy Week to Detroit this summer, with 50-75 Sailors expected to come to the Motor City.
Detroit was selected by the Navy Office of Community Outreach (NAVCO) as one of 14 locations for the 2022 Navy Week program.
Navy Weeks are designed to educate Americans on the importance of Naval service, understand the investment they make in their Navy and to increase awareness in cities which might not otherwise see the Navy at work on a regular basis.
What to expect:
- Senior Navy Leaders – Flag officer and senior civilian Navy leaders with ties to Detroit and the surrounding area.
- Namesake Sailors – Sailors serving on the littoral combat ship USS Detroit (LCS 7), and the Ohio-class nuclear-powered guided missile submarine USS Michigan (SSGN 727).
- Navy Band Great Lakes – Performances and masterclasses with Navy Musicians.
- Naval History and Heritage Command – Educational presentations and lesson plans about the deep ties between Colorado and the Navy.
- USS Constitution – Demonstrations about the oldest commissioned ship in the Navy.
- U.S. Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command – Educational presentation on the importance of atmospheric and oceanographic science and the overall value of STEM education to the Navy.
U.S. Navy SEALs and Special Warfare Combat Craft Crew – Demonstrations and Static displays of the Leap Frogs (parachute team) on Thursday, July 14th @ 11:00 a.m. @ Belle Isle
“We are very excited to bring Navy Week to Detroit,” said NAVCO’s director, Cmdr. John Fage. “Navy Weeks give us the opportunity to help connect Americans to their Navy. We are looking forward to safely and responsibly building those connections in the Detroit area and showing everyone why their Navy is so important.”
What: Navy Week Detroit
When: July 11-17, 2022
Where: Multiple locations in Downtown Detroit