Aircraft carriers (particularly the Ford & Nimitz-class super-carriers) are basically floating cities.
Some quick general specs:
– 1,000+ feet long
– Weigh over 100,000 tons
– Avg. flight deck covers 5 acres
– Some 5,000+ people are onboard at any given time
– Avg. cost is around $8,000,000,000.00 dollars. Yes, $8 BILLION dollars.
– Travels about 30 knots (aka: 35mph)
– Flight deck can hold over 60+ airplanes
– The anchors weigh 30 tons. And each link in the anchor weighs 360lbs.
– “The Island” is the towering command center on the flight deck
And yes, in 2004, Brazil tried selling an old 1944 aircraft carrier for $7mil on Ebay.