Since 2008, Dragon on the Lake, a boat festival on Lake Orion, has attracted crowds of 15,000+ to watch 40ft long dragon boats carrying 22 paddlers per boat, row their hearts out in good fun.
The Dragon Boat Race is 300 meters long and takes 2-3 minutes per team.
In 1894, a “dragon” was spotted on Lake Orion and the association of dragons and Lake Orion has stuck ever since.
Some other cool things to check out in Lake Orion:
– Lake Orion-Jimmy Hoffa’s summer cottage (1608 Ray Court) on shores of Square Lake
– Lake Orion-Broadway Records (8 West Shadbolt) Tues-Sat 10am-4pm
– Lake Orion-51 North Brewing Company (51 North Broadway Street)
– Lake Orion-Palazzo di Bocce (4291 S. Lapeer rd) Italian food and bocce ball
– Lake Orion-Bald Mountain State Park (1330 East Greenshield Road)
– Lake Orion-Orion Oaks County Park (2301 W. Clarkston rd) 927acres
Dragon on the Lake homepage
Dragon on the Lake facebook